After last year’s brilliant Christmas episode where The Office played Yankee Swap and also seeing online the following said about tonight’s episode: “is one of the best, funniest, sharpest, saddest ‘Office’ episodes in the show’s history — a masterpiece, I had very high expectations.
Well once again this show exceeded those expectations.
Here are some of the things I learned from tonight’s masterpiece:
- Roadkill can be a Christmas miracle
- Molten goose grease can be kept in the fridge to save a trip to the store
- Mmmm, Christmas Pam
- Nothing says boldness like photoshopping yourself into a picture of your girlfriend, her kids and her ex-husband.
- If Christmas gets cancelled, Rudolph may get cancelled too.
- Pam is the best gift giver in the world.
- Just when you think green is whorish, orange becomes the new green
- Not knowing what Benihana’s is its good Michael can explain things so concisely as Asian Hooters
- I too should keep my excuses in my PDA so I can rattle off 8 excuses in one 30 second run on sentence
- Stanley the Manley is the trendsetter who sets the tone in Scranton
- Kevin is really Alanis Morrisette in disguise and You Oughta Know is the sing along song of the holidays.
- Nothing says I love you like Bridget Jones Diary or putting a mark on an arm
- Dwight does the best Dennis De Young impression since Eric Segal on Freaks & Geeks
I recently watched the full run of the original UK Office and this may be blasphemy but I find the US one to be superior. It’s not that the original isn’t brilliant, it truly, truly is, but the US one over its 40-odd episode run (or almost 3 times the run of the original) has been able to do a lot of things the British one didn’t. It made Michael a buffoon who can be at times competent and sympathetic. It’s made the relationship between Jim and Pam one of the best TV “will they or won’t they” relationships ever. Even more interesting is how it has made its supporting cast so prominent and critical to the show as demonstrated in almost every scene in this week’s episode.
It’s going to be a long few weeks until this show returns in January.
Avi’s Episode Rating: A+