It’s only been a few weeks but did I miss the crew from Dunder Mifflin. Every week this show amazes me with its ability to juggle the cringe worthy with the laugh out loud funny with the tender. The “A” plot this week had Michael returning from Jamaica after his Sandals trip with Jan and accidentally e-mailing a “PG-13” picture around of the two of them. In the “B” plot Pam helps Jim and Karen mend fences after a fight.
So without further ado here’s what I learned from this week’s The Office:
- You can’t walk around the Office in the nude with a Muppet Babies tattoo of Animal.
- In Sandals Jamaica when everyone says “Hey Mon” everyone says it back.
- Stanley isn’t as fun as his Jamaican brothers
- It’s possible to live together in different houses 2 blocks away.
- Businesses move to the Caymans to avoid having to do inventory
- The Jamaican word for impossible is impossible
- No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem can be a workplace philosophy
- If you’re in a bind you may be able to get a last minute whole pig at the petting zoo
- Indulging self-destructive tendencies can lead to happiness – so can lowered expectations
- Saying “You complete me” resonates as much in 2007 as it did in 1996
After so many episodes of a clueless Michael generally oblivious to his screw-ups, it was at the same time fun to see him running around to try and contain the damage from sending the picture and sad to see how he reacted when he realized he couldn’t and how it might impact his relationship with Jan. Fortunately for him, Jan has decided to lower her expectations and let Michael complete him. Michael, you really are da man.
And finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the scene with Pam and Dwight. As much as Dwight can be truly annoying, his protective response when he sees Pam crying (after helping Jim and Karen to stop fighting) was a great Office moment reminding us that this show really isn’t just about a bunch of co-workers but that these people actually care about each other when it counts. I’m not sure if this brings us one step closer to a Pam-Jim relationship or further away but fortunately next Thursday is only a week away.
Avi’s Episode Rating: A-