Although I took a hiatus from writing about TV news, I sure didn’t stop following it. Here are some of the big TV news announcements of the summer and my thoughts on them.
- Veronica Mars Cancelled by the CW – Not a huge surprise but still a disappointment. As much as I wasn’t crazy about season 3, especially the last few non-arc episodes, Veronica Mars was a great show. I watched a couple of season 1 episodes this week now that it’s in syndication and all I have to say is that the first season truly was a brilliant feat in episodic storytelling and I’m going to miss it. Of course what this paved the way for was…..
- Kristin Bell joins the cast of Heroes – Fanboys went crazy at this news, myself included. Veronica the superhero. How cool is that!
- The Sopranos ends with a black screen – I admit I rewound the PVR a few times and swore at the TV. At first I was disappointed with the ending but as I thought more about it I did appreciate the lack of closure as consistent with the uniqueness of the show. Now a few months later I’m back to disappointed but still looking at the series as a whole it’s hard to be upset for long. It will truly be remembered as one of the best shows to ever air.
- Jericho gets renewed for a second season – After being cancelled by CBS, a network that has demonstrated little to no patience for a show that isn’t a procedural, a viewer campaign sending nuts to the network convinces the powers that be to renew the show. I’m super happy about this. After a very slow first half of the season (ironically, the half where the ratings were good), the second half began to kick butt with twists, turns, deaths and a compelling story that drew me in every week. Even though it’s only been renewed for a few episodes to give it a chance this may be enough to ignore my initial bitterness and get me to watch a CBS show this year.
- Battlestar Galactica is going to end after season 4 – I think it’s great that the show is already crafting an ending allowing it go out at the top of its game but I’m not ecstatic about the recent news that SciFi may spread the final 20 episodes over 2 years. At this point I just want it to start. January still seems a far way off.
- Isaiah Washington fired from Grey’s Anatomy – Handled badly by all parties at the end of the day I just don’t care.
- Emmy Nominations Announced – There isn’t much I can add to the confusion and outrage expressed by any one – critic, fan, etc – over the silly nominations. No Friday Night Lights. No The Wire. No Lost. No Battlestar Galactica. Lots of Boston Legal and Two and a Half Men. Do the nominators actually like TV? I’m happy about the 30 Rock, Sopranos and Office nominations as well as Brothers & Sisters acting nominations. Also not too disappointed by the absence of 24. But what about The Shield and the brilliant Walton Goggins. I guess this isn’t the year the Emmys become relevant.
Just a few highlights from the summer. It’s great to be back. My Fall Preview entries are coming next week. Let me know your TV news highlights from the summer.